You are here: Home / Departments / Police Department / Lost Animal

Lost Animals


Animals picked up by the City of Hiawatha will now be taken to the Brown County Humane Society where they will be held for up to three full business days. The owner may pick them up after paying a fine of $40 and the impound fee. If the animal has not been licensed in the City of Hiawatha (unless the owner lives outside the city limits), the owner will also have to purchase a city tag and show proof of current rabies vaccine before the animal is released to them. Tags and fines may be paid for at the Brown County Humane Society.

After being held for three days, the animal may be released to the Brown County Humane Society for adoption or it may be euthanized.

If your pet has strayed, please call the Brown County Humane Society at 785-742-1976. They are located at 2393 Mallard Road, Hiawatha, KS. Their business hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 8:00 a.m. to noon on Saturdays.

Please call City Hall, 742-7417, if you have any questions.