Korthanke Memorial Fountain
"IN MEMORY OF T. H. KORTHANKE WHO GREW AND PLANTED MAPLE TREES THROUGHOUT HIAWATHA,1860 – 1941, PRESENTED BY H. BERNERD AND RUTH FINK OF THE CGF GRAIN COMPANY"
A fountain dedicated to Theodore H. Korthanke was built in the 400 block of Oregon Street, between the Law Enforcement Center and the Fire Department, in 1973. It was renovated in 2007.
The city's nickname, "City of Beautiful Maples," is the result of an effort by Theodore H. Korthanke.
In 1918, T. H. Korthanke and his wife moved to 200 Miami Street in Hiawatha from a farm northeast of Hiawatha. On the corner of their yard was a stately hard maple tree which was admired by all who saw it in its full fall splendor. From that one tree, Mr. Korthanke was inspired to take seeds and plant them on a vacant lot north of his home. As the seedlings took root, he shared them with anyone who would agree to care for them. Mr. Korthanke died in 1941 before the trees reached maturity, but he indeed left Hiawatha with it's legacy of the "City of Beautiful Maples."